Thursday, December 11, 2008

Just how much does it mean?


Hospital stays are simply not a treat. On top of the constant reminder of your illness by simply being here there is the diminished sleep, missing family, friends, and the comforts of home. The food isn't great and there's always plenty to complain about with the hospital gowns!


Prior to my cancer diagnosis I wondered about the charitable things people do around this time of year and just how much they meant to someone who was in the hospital with clearly a lot on their mind. Yesterday, I had a chance to experience this form of charity not once, but twice and would like to share my impressions.


First, I was visited by Santa! While this sounds somewhat juvenile it was a nice diversion, he came into my room without a mask (which is a breach of flu-season precautions but would have ruined the moment). He apparently was a patient at Hopkins several years ago, who knew!? He gave me a stuffed reindeer and, when I mentioned I had two kids, he handed me a second astutely figuring where the first would end up. My parents happened to be visiting at the time and my mom snapped the picture at the top of the post.


Following Santa by minutes were several gurneys loaded down with hand knitted hats, scarves, and lap blankets. I was invited to take a look and pick something out. I chose a very nice looking blanket that I had a chance to use last night while watching a little TV.


So what all did this mean to me? Does it help? I have to say that both events brightened my day considerably and to write about them at least brings another smile to my face. I can't speak for the other 14 patients on the ward but I'd say that if you have supported similar charities or efforts in the past you should feel that their mission has been achieved.


This gets me to wondering, however: I'm 'fortunate' enough to be going through this around this charitable time of year. How many similar efforts happen in the middle of the summer? How many patients are in the hospital on their birthdays with little to no fanfare? I plan to ask the nurses these questions for my own information, but I think I know the answer.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, it's a Russ! Good to see your smile again! :)

    Yeah, you don't see too many non-holiday charities. Maybe it's easier to run them during the time people are conditioned to give. Maybe you can start a summer charity or something except I have no clue how to go about it.

    But! I would like to point out a holiday-related charity that I think is kinda neat: Child's Play

    It was started by the two guys who do the online comic Penny Arcade. You donate money or buy toys from Amazon.com Wishlists for children's hospitals around (and now outside) the country.

    Some of the toys are given to the patients. Other items like game consoles stay at the hospitals to be used year-round.

    The two guys also host a fancy dinner and auction. The auction items are donated by the gaming companies. Other folks help raise money by doing all sorts of crazy stuff like Desert Bus for Hope. Anyway, I just thought it was cool.

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh how great this is!! It's wonderful to see your smiling face. One of the things that makes you special is that you love to have fun. You have always been a good sport when it comes to things like this. I was just looking at my pics and came across the baby shower for Audrey. You played the part and had a great time then. As you well know, I'm a child at heart and simply enjoy those moments. It definitely keeps you going and enhances the spirit of giving and gratitude.

    Tell Mom more pics are good. It really means a lot to us. Thanks for sharing.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.