Monday, November 24, 2008

Update

Good Morning All:

Heading out to Hopkins this AM. They are really moving quickly on the A-cycle part of my regimen. Since I tolerate it well I get the sense that they are interested in monitoring me closely and moving into the B-cycle when possible. This, of course, will shorten my overall treatment which I am astounded about and makes some of the goals I set for myself (e.g., coaching my son's little leage team this spring) more probable.

I was at Hopkins yesterday, my first Sunday outpatient visit, to receive a scheduled chemo treatment--the last of round 3, sort of a straggler on day 11. I am also scheduled for daily outpatient visits Monday through Wednesday this week. Unfortunately this means that I and some of those who have taken on the duty of driving me to Hopkins will be bearing a load--much thanks to those who shoulder this for me.

I learned yesterday that I am once again devoid (or virtually so) of white blood cells. They indicated that they wanted to monitor me daily as a result. The team was different on a Sunday and this marks a slight change from the every-other-day protocol that I had been on. We'll see if anything changes when we get there today. I suspect that the inclusion of Thanksgiving in this week is at least part of the rationale. I can get behind this because if my blood counts don't recover by Thursday I might have to miss out on seeing many extended family members that I have not seen since I was diagnosed.

Many thanks to those who expressed condolences over Bungo last week. It was an ill-timed shock but I think we've recovered as we head into this new week.

--Russ.

4 comments:

  1. I am keeping my fingers crossed that your overall treatment course is shortened, especially if it means you could coach your son's little league team...I think our Ponce team could use you as well :-)

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ,
    Glad to hear that your regimen is going well. What is involved in the B cycle? Hope all goes well today. Happy Thanksgiving.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Marie, the A and B cycles are made up of different combinations of chemotherapy. In the early going the B cycle is the more drastic of the two but the hospital stay is shorter. If you want lots of detail check the 'Hyper CVAD Treatment Plan' link on the left side of the blog. It is an excellent resource.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keith, I'll defer to your clinical judgment on me playing Ponce. I'd like to and it is also part of my goals though I've been told that this is a little more far-fetched given how worn-down patients are by the end of 8 rounds of chemo. If I feel then like I do now, I could do it once the Hickman were removed from my chest.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.