Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Neutrapenic fever

Surprise everyone!

As I sat at my computer yesterday morning I was shivering away. There is a draft at that spot in my house so I didn't think much of it. But when I went upstairs to make lunch and was still shivering I thought I might need to take my temperature. It was up but not beyond the critical temperature of 100.4 degrees. I took a nap after a quick lunch and again took my temperature and it was around 101.

I called the number I've been given and was told to come in. Soon thereafter I learned that I would be admitted and, once here, I've learned that I will be here until the WBCs increase. I learned this morning that they are on the rise but that I'm not out of the danger zone. They took a lot of blood and other samples overnight and so far have not learned of any source of infection. They haven't even duplicated the temperature I took at home.

I've been told that infections are practically impossible to avoid while I have no ability to fight them off. That doesn't mean that I wasn't hoping to dodge this process. But, while I am here I am getting more information about my progress through the B1 phase of my treatment.

2 comments:

  1. You should put an ad out: M looking for WBC, likes walks on beach & dogs, call-

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Russ,
    You are hard to keep up with nowadays. Thank goodness we have the blog. Both Dan and Aaron came home Monday eve and go early to participate in history and with first time voting. As you know, we have had our share of first time thingy's but this was quite thrilling and positive.
    Glad you were thinking ahead as well.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.