Monday, January 26, 2009

Something a little more light-hearted

Good Morning All:

As I watch a little bit of unexpected snow drift down this morning I thought I'd share a little bit of news that is less weighty than blood counts, hospital delays, chemotherapy . . .

We're talking hair. I have to admit that I've gotten a little used to not having any hair on my head though the feeling of the warmth escaping from my scalp continues to be uncomfortable and is the primary reason that I don't tend to simply walk around bald. I also have started to joke about it with my primary foil being Audrey. Last night, for example, she was trying to put Marla's hair in a pony tail and I invited her to do my hair next. She thought that was very, very funny and so did I.

While I've been assured that it means nothing by the doctors I'd like to announce that my nice clean shave has come to an end however. One of the actual benefits of having chemo was that for a time I had no facial hair and none growing. I had a nice smooth shave without any of the daily activities to make it so. About 3 weeks ago that ended. I looked in the mirror one morning and there was a blonde(I'm claiming blonde) beard growing around my nose and mouth. I actually had to shave! My facial hair is back, oddly enough, though it grows more slowly than it did prior to the chemotherapy and it is no longer blonde but the dark brown it had always been.

Marla also pointed out last night that my eyelashes are growing back. This actually strikes me as a little odd as they haven't really been gone that long. I think I noticed them falling out in earnest just a bit before the beard reappeared.

In any event, I'm assured that there is little to be read in the comings and goings of hair for the chemotherapy patient. I choose, however, to see these as a minor sign of the change in my focus from treatment to maintenance. After all, just because we can't explain how or why these things occur does not mean that they are unimportant or without cause.

Finally, since I've been diagnosed my co-worker Marie has been asking for a limerick. It is a lesser-known factoid that I've got a penchant for writing limericks when something strikes me as funny. There hasn't been much to write limericks about thus far but I think we'll give it a go on this topic:

The Returning Facial Hair Limerick
With no beard or eyelashes flowing
and the hair on his head not growing
Russ looks at his stubble
and begins to mumble--
I can't tell if its coming or going!

--Russ.

6 comments:

  1. Aww, I like it! And you should do more spam poetry - I still have the ones you did.

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Russ, congrats on completing #6. Enjoy the snow.
    Rob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Russ, you've brought a smile to my face! Can't wait to see your smiley as well. Oh the fun we had with limericks. I'm sure Nolan will enjoy them.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Russ,
    How do I respond to Brian's page? I am so proud of him joining TNT which is something I want to do as well.

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am not aware of a great way to leave comments on Brian's fundraising site. I recall that there was an option to do so when I made a donation (I believe this is how the Bailey's did it). Marie, I'll get you his e-mail address.

    --Russ.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Russ - It's so good to hear how well your doing. You're such an encouragement to so many people! My church family and I will be praying for you and your family.

    Lionel

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.