Friday, January 9, 2009

On the beaches of Sicily

I've just finished making my through a book on what I suppose might be the Mediterranean theater of WWII. The book focused on the US efforts in North Africa and Italy all leading up to the allied invasion of Normandy.

What struck me as I read the accounts of the early battles was just how steep and important the learning curve was for the US forces, and even more notably, how complicated. Each time the US hopped from continent to continent to establish a new front against the Germans there was a need to 'come ashore'. Infantry and tanks were packed into boats and deposited on the beach. So much care and planning was taken to try and make certain that the troops could just overcome the odds enough to get to that point--establishing a beach head. It was very evident from the portrayal I was reading, that failure on this point rendered consideration of any other operations moot.

Late yesterday afternoon I received a call from Doctor Connolly. I had almost forgotten that she owed me some news and before I could even register who was on the phone with me she had alerted me that my bone marrow biopsy had come back CLEAN! The sense of relief I felt at that realization was something so unique to me that I won't soon forget it. After confirming with her what I was hearing I hung up the phone I did an embarrassing jig or two, let out a yell and set about calling family. Needless to say we are all relieved and overjoyed to get this news--between the CT Scan results and the bone marrow biopsy I could not have asked for a better outcome for the results of just half of my treatment protocol.

Wiping out the cancer from my lymph nodes and my bone marrow is like hitting the beaches of Sicily (in WWII, not today, I assure you). So much energy, thought, planning, and effort has gone into making that happen that in hindsight it almost seems now like success was a foregone conclusion. But what if . . .

I'd like to thank everyone who has done anything to sustain my family and I throughout this. We have not had nearly the opportunities to say thank you as we'd like and so we are left to hope that all of you know how thankful we are. Even more importantly, I'd like to invite you all to keep up with me on my blogs. My clean scans are a start, not an end. For all who have remarked on my spirit or attitude, understand that I have drawn considerably from the influence of those around me.

And so now we've landed--the work isn't done and the battle, let alone the war, is not over. I've got three more rounds of chemo to pour into my system and between now and then the team at Hopkins, my family, and I will work on the remaining steps to make certain that cancer does not return.

So now that we're standing on the beaches of Sicily, who's going inland with me?

--Russ.

11 comments:

  1. Yahoo!! We are all there on the beach with you! I believe all the stars and planets were aligned yesterday and all our hard work is paying off in great results! I am so very happy for you and your family! Yesterday I received great news that after my surgery last week, all the tissue they removed was benign, I am finally healing, and can probably restart my chemo next week! And our cat, Allie, had a great blood count-27-from the vet last night! What a fabulous day for us all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOOHOOO! I will guzzle an energy drink for you.. -Stiv

    ReplyDelete
  3. YEEHAW! Awesome news indeed! :D
    Onward into battle! You know, I've always wanted to visit Sicily - I'll go pack!
    Speaking of that, have you ever read Catch 22?

    And speaking of battles, there's an online game I like to play with my friends that involves sometimes capturing points on a map and it's interesting to see a team winning or losing depending on how quickly they can get themselves set up at a particular location.

    Sometimes one person manages to get by the enemy lines or the whole team rushes in but usually the offensive team builds a temporary base in a defendable location between the two camps. It's neat but I'm glad it doesn't involve real bullets.

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read your blog daily and beath a sigh of relief along with you. I keep trying to comment but it keeps rejecting them.

    Diane

    ReplyDelete
  5. Okay, I finally figured out which thing to click to post. (I'll try to be better at spelling this time too.) I'm sure there are many more folks like me who follow this blog closely and are thinking about you daily but just don't post comments. We are the army of people thinking good thoughts and pulling for you every step of the way. It seems like it's working!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. CONGRATULATIONS!!
    That is Fantastic News! I love the beach. Just like in WWII not everyone is on the front with you but we are back home praying for you, sacrificing for the effort (running) and buying War Bonds (fundraising) to support and help you out. We can walk along the beach with you after you have fought but we can never truly know your battle. That is for you and your comrades to know and understand but we will all celebrate victory together.
    Just know we support and love you.
    As I pray for our troops - Take care of busines and come home safe - I pray for you too.

    PS - Thanks to those who have donated to my LLS/Half-Marathon run already. We don't know each other yet but knowing you support Russ makes it a bit easier to get out of the warm bed and train.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Russ,
    This is fabulous news!! I'm with you all the way! I am jumping up and down! You've been such a good patient and "patient" through this. Celebrate!

    ReplyDelete
  8. SWEET! Happy to hear that you are getting such good results. - Craig

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful News! Looks like you need to start brushing up on your coaching tips for your son's team...hopefully we will get you back behind the plate soon!

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  10. Praise God Russ! That is awesome news.

    Tracey

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi, Russ.
    It was awesome to have you attend our AllStaff meeting by conference call yesterday. We miss you here very much and hope you can return to us soon.

    Maggie

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.