Thursday, March 19, 2009

Cold? . . . Let's kick it up a notch, or two.

Good Morning All:

I'm on the precipice of a very rare Thursday Afternoon appointment. You might recall that I had a pretty bad cold over the weekend. That cold included a fever--a major concern for patients with suppressed immune systems. When I went into Hopkins on Monday they ran a number of cultures to try and isolate what was causing the fever. I also got another CT Scan of my chest and sinuses to locate sources of infection. Here is what I have learned so far from that battery of tests.

1. I tested positive for influenza. So I had the flu, not just a wimpy little cold.
2. I have pneumonia.
3. I have a brewing sinus infection.
4. My platelet levels finally got high enough for me to otherwise be admitted for the last round of chemo!

Needless to say they were not so certain that I should be getting that last round of chemotherapy on Monday and I was not admitted. They put me on an antibiotic and told me to come in on Thursday so that I could get a few doses under my belt before they re-evaluate me. When they learned that the influenza culture came back positive they pushed my appointment time from 11:00 to 2:00 so that I would encounter fewer patients and thereby lessen the possibility that I give the flu to someone with a severely suppressed immune system.

I've been down this road several times now and I know that when I walk in at 2:00 they will likely whisk me out of the waiting room and away from other patients ASAP and get me behind closed doors to contain my airborne virus(es). I can't help but appreciate the steps they take to keep bacteria and viruses from putting fellow cancer patients at risk and I am sure that I have benefitted as well (despite the 4 or 5 incidents I have had thus far). I will be interested in watching them 'do the math' on my physical condition today. Once I get the chemo my white blood cells will start dissappearing and my body's ability to fight illness will go with them. Even though my fever is long gone, my nose is running less and my cough less frequent and severe, I would not be surprised if they take a more cautious route and wait a little while longer before hitting me with chemo. This would give my body just a little more time to clear out any/all infections.

But perhaps they'll conclude that since I'm generally getting better, and I have the platelets to withstand the chemo, and will be under 24 hour care for 3 days (which wouldn't be a bad thing either) that they should proceed with my chemotherapy. In that case, I am likely to be admitted tomorrow.

In the end, I am very thankful for the expertise among the nurses and doctors at Johns Hopkins. They can weigh these variables using their long history with patients in my position and make a decision on my behalf that I know I will feel comfortable with. I will appreciate and accept the scenario where there is further delay, but I cannot help but continuing to hope that the delays are over and round 8 begins tomorrow (finally).

2 comments:

  1. At the risk of sounding trite: hang in there -the end is in sight. You have many people united in wishing you over this and out on the ball field where you belong. Rebecca Olmstead

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Russ-Man, you are always an overachiever! The flu, pneumonia, AND a sinus infection-you are making the rest of us look bad! :) Seriously, hope you are better VERY SOON and on that last round of chemo! You need to hurry-my hair is starting to grow-I might beat you in the race to have hair! How fast does yours grow? Mine is sort of slow!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.