Thursday, February 5, 2009

Well, now I've gone and done it. . .

Good Morning All:

I'm posting this AM from the outpatient clinic at Hopkins. On Tuesday I told you all that I had a cold. In the early evening hours of the prior day my temperature sneaked above the 38-degrees celsius threshold (100.4 degrees farenheit) for being considered a fever worth worrying about. I posted a 38.1. This happened in about the 8th hour of a 9 or 10 hour day as an outpatient. They halted my blood transfusion fearing that I was having a reaction and they drew blood so they could culture it and learn whether there was infection worth worrying about.

On Tuesday evening I received a call at 10:00 Pm from the attending physician who informed me that one of the cultures had started to grow and he was toying with the idea of having me come in that night! I was able to dissuade him since my temperature had not since crept above the 38-degree threshold (it hadn't crept above that threshold prior to that measurement either) and since I had an outpatient appointment scheduled just 11 hours from the time of his call.

Wednesday's appointment saw me in radiology for a CT scan of my chest and sinuses (looking for sources of infection) and receiving a blood transfusion since they ruled out my having a reaction as the source of the elevated temperature. Also while I was there more details began to surface about the infection I have. From the culture they are pretty certain that I have a bacterial infection in one, or both, of my Hickman lines. This involves one regimen of antibiotics. Additionally, the CT scan revealed that my lungs had a "pre-pneumonia" condition where fluid was beginnning to build--no doubt from the cold I had been suffering through. This involves a second regimen of antibiotics.

Both of these regimen require medication that is infused intravenously and a new set of procedures, skills, etc at home. Marla and I will be getting less sleep than normal over the next two weeks so if we look or sound tired and/or grumpy please cut us some slack.

For what it is worth I woke up this morning having no elevated temperature at all, less of a runny nose, and fewer coughs. Hopefully the cold is pretty well behind me and the treatment of these infections is as academic as the nurses make it sound . . .

--Russ.

4 comments:

  1. Yikes! Hope you get better quickly!

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck with this! Amazing how quickly a little cold bug can turn into more when your immune system is compromised. Take it easy and get that infection taken care of.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This will clear up and you will be fine, but sure is such a pain and strain while it happens! I'm sorry-feel better soon!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Russ,
    Sounds like a minor bump in the road that your handling fine! Had dinner with a few of the guys from Team G and they pass on their best wishes...plus, hope you get back to catching :-)
    Keith

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.