Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Milestones

Good Morning All:

Despite being required to report to Hopkins every day during the past week it could not have worked out better. I saw a particular low point two weeks ago when I had to ask Nolan which he would rather have me at home for: his actual birthday (Monday, Feb. 9th) or his birthday party with friends, etc. on Saturday, Feb. 14th. Of course, I wanted to attend both but the way things were shaping up it appeared I would likely miss one of these and might have the opportunity to sway the start of the round 7 hospital admission to make certain that I could be around for the one that he chose.

As it turned out my counts dipped and the start of round 7 needed to be delayed and is still in delay. It appears that tomorrow could be it if my platelets come around. In the meantime I was able to be home for all of Nolan's birthday.

In years prior to this one, birthdays (mine and others) were seen as special dates during the course of the year that required reservations on the social calendar, perhaps some planning and work to make them special, and were often seen more for the chores they create than the milestones they are meant to celebrate. This is yet another 'thing' that has changed for me. It wounded me to have to ask Nolan to prioritize one facet of his birthday celebration over another because I might not be available for both. I was immensely relieved when I learned that I would attend both and would have the white blood cells to attend the kids' birthday party without sneaking my neutropenic body in.

This year I was able to enjoy the event of Nolan's 8th birthday in a way that I probably have not enjoyed his birthday since perhaps his first one. I spent less time worrying about how much the event cost, whether the kids were having fun, getting hurt, allergic to peanuts, going to get their goody bags, etc. In place of that worrying I watched Nolan in his element--Running around with his friends, smiling, laughing, and turning 8. I played host to the parents that came with the kids and visited with my parents and in-laws. I enjoyed myself immensely and was pretty tired afterwards.

This is the angle from which I want to watch all of the milestones. We celebrate them to celebrate them, not to create work for ourselves or to spend the money that we budget for such things. This is not to say that I won't do the chores involved in planning the events or spend the money to have them but the chores and bills will no longer BE the event as they have been in the past. Instead, the focus will shift to where it should have been all along--creating an opportunity for all attendees to celebrate in a memorable fashion. This would include the hosts who should be able to report that they celebrated a milestone rather than saying they 'hosted a party' when all is said and done.

I've got lots of celebrating to do and I plan to become quite accomplished at it.

--Russ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.