Sunday, February 8, 2009

Update

Good Afternoon All:

Just banging out an update while sitting here at Hopkins . . . I'm continuing to receive daily treatment for the infections that have been discovered. Other than being tired from the decreased opportunities to sleep, I'm feeling better with less coughing and sneezing. My counts continue to slowly recover and I'm no longer neutrapenic. The only sticking point are those pesky platelets. They continue to fall so I suspect that I'm in for a fairly lengthy delay as I wait for those to reverse direction and then climb to a level that will support the next round of chemo.

To some degree I'm OK with a little bit of delay here. Nolan turns 8 tomorrow and his birthday party is Saturday. I'd hate to miss either day and will be conflicted if we approach Saturday and my counts are such that I might get admitted. It might be the one time that I ask them to delay my admission date . . .

--Russ.

3 comments:

  1. What level do your platelets have to be at before you can proceed with the chemo?

    ReplyDelete
  2. The standard answer is 100,000 though they have started me on a round of chemo at 60,000 more than once. Right now I am at 15,000 (they transfuse at 10,000) and that is down from yesterday's count of 18,000.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Mr. Sniffles,
    It's good to know that you're feeling better and fighting that cold. Happy Birthday to Nolan- whatcha doin... I played the dvd you made of him singing (at 4 yrs old) his wishes for another special birthday. Shared it with the newer staff. Your choice not to miss Nolan's 8th is a good decision. They remember those special moments forever.

    Here's to round 7!!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.