Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Jitters and tribulations

Good Morning All:

Got a nice surprise yesterday when I learned that I was going to sleep in my own bed last night. I got to go home around dinner time yesterday instead of lunch time today--a very welcome turn of events considering out other recent admissions have gone!

I do need to apologize for the radio silence though rest assured it comes with good reason and not because anything untoward has happened to me. As it turns out either the mother board or the hard drive has ceased to operate on my new laptop and so I was without a way to post to the blogs or check e-mail from about Saturday on. Since I'm home and have some white blood cells with which to operate I will set about getting this rectified ASAP.

By way of update, with my release from the hospital yesterday I am now down to just one remaining hospital stay and one remaining spinal tap. My out-patient regimen will continue into March and I will be moving into the maintenance program that will last me a couple of years when the intense treatments conclude. I am very much looking forward to replacing the frequent trips to hopkins, tubes in my chest, and volume of medicine with just a few pills and sporadic visits to the folks in Baltimore.

Finally, just a bit of humor for those who live or work with me. One of the pills I get from Hopkins during the A-Cycles (of which I have no more!) is a steroid. One of the side-effects is that it can make one excitable or jittery. I took my last dose of those pills last night and man you should see me this morning. I can hardly type or sit still--runs very counter to my normal demeanor. I can only imagine what I look like in my own home: standing up-sitting down, upstairs-downstairs, blogging-getting coffee (like I need that right now!). At any rate, much better being jittery here with some room to roam than a small room in Hopkins wondering when I'll get released!

--Russ.

2 comments:

  1. Ah, steroids. Such convivial times we spent together. Running, jumping, doing push-ups, and eating 4 12' steak and cheese sandwiches at one sitting. You made me feel like a mercurial pregnant woman. I don't miss you, but I recall in awe the desire to run full speed for 12 miles and then participate in 6 sessions of primal scream therapy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Unable to sit still? Yikes! I'm having a hard time picturing it though. But it'll be over soon and you can go back to playing Super Sea Cucumber with your kids. ;)

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.