Friday, March 26, 2010

Update - 3/26/2010

Good Morning All:

Figured I was overdue for a post. All really continues as it ever was. The chemo is long over (finished 1 week ago now) and the waiting for the return of my immune system continues. I haven't seen the results of my blood tests from last night so I can't know for certain what is happening with the white blood cells. Certainly no one came bursting into my room last night proclaiming that I had set the medical community on its ear with my magical white blood cell-making ability. I would love to learn today that the white blood cell count reads something other than "<50", which translates to "too small to measure or mention". The critical count of neutrophils (a subset of white blood cells) continues to be pegged at zero.

I do continue to try to visualize my body making white blood cells, and while I'm at it, ousting cancer. I still believe that it is possible for someone who is practiced to influence even this part of their body's functioning--I simply don't have the practice. Yet.

This dismal news isn't exactly dismal, however. As the doctors point out to me each day on rounds, my body is responding as they would expect. And better, while I am at a severe risk for infection of any kind, I have not had any tell-tale fevers and continue to look strong. So, while I simply long to escape from the hospital and return home, I do have to be thankful that I have not had to experience complications from the chemotherapy or the resulting lack of an immune system, and that there is every indication that the chemotherapy has done what it was intended to do.

A few words of thanks are in order: I've gotten many phone calls, visits and promises of visits. When I was here on 3-5 day stints it seemed almost a burden to have visitors. But with this lengthy stay visitors do break up the monotony. Thank you to all those who have contacted me or visited. The contact with the outside world is much, much appreciated.

Many ask what they can send or bring to ease some of the boredom. I'll say that I have with me most of what folks tend to think of as remedies. While I still get bored from time-to-time, these are pretty much enough. The thing that I have found that I appreciate most are meals. That isn't meant to say that you should cook for me and send loads of food to Russ French, C/O . . . No (I don't have any real refrigeration or freezing options that aren't communal). But if you are visiting and feel that you would like to bring me something: think food. And, if you think food, call or e-mail me before you buy. Without an immune system I have some pretty strict controls on diet to avoid foodborne illness.

And one final thought/note/anectdote. My mother stopped by for a visit when returning from visiting her parents in York, PA. She told me that my blog has accomplished what many years of effort from her had not: get my grandmother on the internet. During my first stint, my mom would print out the blog posts and bring them up for my grandparents to read. During her recent visit, my grandmother asked my mom to take her to the library in her retirement community and show her how to get to the blog. After a few lessons on how to use the mouse (and perhaps some modified technique to accomplish double-clicking) my grandmother was able to see and read the blog herself--glad I posted that day. She now has detailed instructions on how to log in to the computer and how to navigate her way to the point where she can read the blog. I hope she continues to try. If you are reading this (on a computer screen), Mammaw, congrats! I'm honored to count you among my readers!

As always, thanks for reading . . .

--Russ.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.