Sunday, March 21, 2010

Update - 3/21/2010

Morning All:

For those who read and commented or otherwise contacted me about yesterday's post. Thank you. I think it was pretty obvious that yesterday's post was for me to hash out some feelings. The perspectives and counterpoints (and support) offered by others were exactly what the doctor ordered so that I can get my 'head right' going into this long process.

For those who like to indulge in the mundane, allow me to get you up to speed on what is happening in my care.

First, the chemotherapy regimen that started on Monday is over--it ended Friday night. So far I still have hair, eyebrows, eyelashes. I will not get another chemo regimen for perhaps another month or two.

So why am I still an inpatient? Well, it hasn't been exactly spelled out to me except that as with all chemotherapies targeting leukemia, my counts will crash. And they have been. I am now neutropenic--this means that my infection-fighting white blood cells (neutrophils) are at critically low levels. This means that I am at high risk of infection, colds, cuts, foodborne illness, are all risks that bear monitoring. So, I am here at least until the counts drop and recover to an acceptable level.

I continue to get blood and platelet transfusions as these become absolutely necessary as my bone marrow shuts down. I somehow staved off the need for platelets last night, but the attending physician assures me that I can bank on needing a transfusion, then, tonight.

Probably the best news, however, is that my nurse triumphantly reduced my fluid intake from 120 ccs per hour to 10 ccs per hour. Why is this important? Well, if YOU were the one getting up every hour or so to go to the bathroom, you'd be happy for the decrease in fluids too! I'm hoping that I'll get a reasonable night's sleep for the first time in over a week tonight.

--Russ.

1 comment:

  1. I hope you had some proper sleep then and didn't have to make the trek too often with "Twiggy" in tow.

    I don't suppose you're feeling any less guilty after writing that on Saturday? Well, one can hope. I honestly doubt it's anything you did though.

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.