Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Bumps ahead

Good Morning All:

Believe it or not I'm posting from Hopkins. During what should still be one of my final 3-times-per-week outpatient visits I developed a fever. They tried to keep me from being admitted but my fever grew worse and they decided it was best to admit me so they can monitor my fever and give me some strong antibiotics since I currently have no natural illness fighting capabilities. Just like my other hospital admission for a fever, I have not had a fever over the magic 100.4 since I was admitted--a good sign. I asked the doctors about the odds of me going home after just one day and was told that they normally like to see 48 hours of being fever free. No matter how I do the math I can't seem to get to 48 hours of being monitored at any point today.

When it became pretty clear that I was going to get admitted yesterday I thought of a sign I had seen in my neighborhood recently. I had started taking walks almost daily to try and get my stamina up for work and the activities of daily life. During one of these walks I noticed a sign that said "Bumps" alerting the driver that there were speed bumps ahead. I hadn't seen the sign before--was it an omen? Hard to know for sure though if it was I don't like the plurality of the omen.

In the end, this shouldn't really delay things aside from the physiological effects of having some sort of infection (white blood cells are being sent into the breach as soon as they are made, and platelets are fragile). I am still at the mercy of my white blood cell counts returning to an acceptable level and then I plan on returning to my normal activities.

--Russ.

5 comments:

  1. Russ, looking forward to your return to the office. Rob

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bumps are the worst...but those are the things that test your resolve...keep fighting russ you are a inspiration to alot of people....Zman sends

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jump those bumps!!

    Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bumps are inevitable in all facets of life. It's all about how you face the bumps instead of running away from them. You're heading in the right direction and that's what matters! Keep on trucking my friend!!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.