Sunday, June 27, 2010

Not Exactly As Planned

Good Afternoon, All:

Well. Back to inpatient status for me. I had a pretty unpleasant Saturday evening that resulted in a very high temperature and a hospital admission. The biggest disappointment is that Audrey's birthday party starts in about 45 minutes. While I would not have been able to attend the kids party (can you imagine the numbers of germs in a gymnastics center after several birthday parties over the course of the day?), I was looking forward to the family party where my parents and my inlaws would come to our place for dinner and to give Audrey her presents. I was looking forward to doing a good portion of the cooking--we have a huge slab of salmon for the grill (I'm so proud. My 6-year old chose salmon for her birthday meal.) and the fixins for a very nice cold summer soup. Not only will I not be cooking, or eating, what I'm sure will be a very nice meal, I'll be getting something from the Hopkins food service instead. Disappointing to say the least.

There has been no recurrence of the fever that landed me here and there have been many discussions regarding the mix of antibiotics, anti-virals, and anti-fungals resulting in several changes. I, and the doctors, believe that one or more of my previous medicines were causing the fevers. One in particular they would pre-dose me with Tylenol before giving me the IV--my money is on that one as the source of yesterday's fever. Fortunately that was one of the medicines that have been removed from the equation. Here's to hoping that the fever doesn't return, the mix of medicines is a good one, and I get to go home very soon.

Finally, thanks to all who have wished me neutrophils. Please keep them coming as the neutrophils have not yet returned. I am coming up on the stretch of time where perhaps the neutrophils would start making appearances and so I'm hoping to encourage them as much as possible.

As always, thanks for reading.

--Russ.

1 comment:

  1. On one hand, I'm glad your fever is gone. On the other hand, I'm bummed you missed out on Audrey's party. On the third hand (which I borrowed), I'm impressed by her taste. Salmon! I didn't like salmon until I was an adult. I'm still working on liking beef outside of hamburgers. Filet mignon cooked in a red wine sauce with onions, bacon, and mushrooms is pretty tasty though...

    It's ironic that the very medication that is supposed to help you is giving you a fever instead. I hope you do get to go home soon. And maybe you can do a 2nd party so you can still make your cold soup (what sort of soup? I've only seen the strawberry one they serve at the cafeteria here).

    Ahem.
    Firecracker! Firecracker! Siss! Boom! Bah! Neutrophils! Neutrophils! Rah! Rah! Rah! *shakes pom-poms*

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.