Sunday, May 16, 2010

Triumph and Tribulation

Good Morning All:

Well, as the title I have chosen would indicate, I have some good news and some bad news.

I'll start with the bad news as I don't think it is all that bad. I'm typing this post from the hospital. I was admitted last night after I spiked a fever and had some odd pain in my back for a good portion of the day. The fever has since abated and the pain is not as severe as it initially was. The CAT Scan that I got at 3:30 AM apparently was 'boring' (Would you believe that was the doctor's actual words?!). What I don't know is how long I'll be here. I'm hoping that if I'm fever-free for 24 hours they'll cut me loose tomorrow, but no one has said any such thing to me.

These 'blips' are at times frustrating and/or disconcerting. They can be scary as the risk of infection is the greatest danger that I currently face. So every time we go through this there is fair amount of worry and trepidation as I leave the house and plop myself into the hospital: "What is this? Do I have an infection? Could it be serious?" Until I get to the hospital I cannot know and that, of course, is why I make the phone call to the on call doctor instead of ignoring the fever.

The good news comes in form of an update on the bone marrow transplant front. On my last update I let everyone know that I had at least one perfect match. As it turns out, the original 18 10-out-of-10 matches yielded 4 perfect matches when held up to the light of the more strict HLA matching. From there the four matches have been prioritized based on more ancillary criteria and are in the process of being contacted and coordinated with for a bone marrow donation. I have been told that they have been provided timeframes that would enable a transplant for me on either June 9th or June 16th.

I am very fortunate to have four matches. Many individuals in the same circumstance as I have one, or even none. I have 1a, b, c and d. This, of course is exciting news. It means that the treatment I need is very probable to occur in the form that has the greatest chances of success and fewest complications (of those options available to me). That is a relief.

It also means that I've got an upcoming month-long hospitalization that is becoming much more 'real'. I am not at all looking forward to being away from the family for that sort of duration again. As Marla is quick to point out, however, if the transplant is necessary, then the sooner we get started the sooner the hospitalization finishes. I suppose that is a better way of looking at it, but I find it difficult to bring myself around to that angle very often--I get stuck at having to live in the hospital for a month separated from family and friends.

I guess that is about it for now. As always, thanks for reading.

--Russ.

3 comments:

  1. Marla speaks wisdom - the sooner done, the sooner over with and you'll get to be back home with your loved ones. Stock up on books or whatever you need/want to make the stay pass more quickly. Do some writing maybe... ;)

    - Liz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Russ,
    We are just connecting to your blog for the first time and could not have asked for better news than to hear you have 4 matches and one is a prefect match. We will look for more good news regarding the fever not returning and that you may even be home now. As you know, a good atitude is the best medicine. Stay conisitently positive. Denny and Candy Lankford

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russ,
    I have a favorite verse that I would like to share with you. Jeremiah 33:3 "Call upon me and I will answer thee, and show thee great and mighty things that you do not know. "
    Love, Denny and Candy

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to comment and or ask questions when moved to do so. I will try to respond when and where appropriate.